2nd case filed against NDC primaries discontinued
African Editors sources have confirmed that the second injunction filed against NDC primaries by Edgar Asamoah Boateng has been discontinued. This implies that the opposition party has been spared another legal tussle against the party’s upcoming primaries scheduled for Saturday May 13, 2023. According to MP for Madina Francis-Xavier Sosu, the Electoral Commission has been served with the document from the court to show proof of withdrawal of the second injunction filed by Edgar Asamoah Boateng.
“We just came to have conversation with the EC about Saturday May 13, 2023 primaries, the electoral materials are being dispatched and the election is coming up as scheduled”, National Chairman of NDC Johnson Asiedu Nketiah told the media at the Headquarters of EC on Friday.
Another injunction application hits NDC primaries, party officials say they have not been served
National Democratic Congress (NDC), Edgar Asamoah Boateng is seeking a High Court order to prevent the party from proceeding with its presidential and parliamentary primaries on Saturday, May 13, 2023.
In his statement of claim, the plaintiff, said to be a party member of the party in Abuakwa North in the Eastern Region, expressed his surprise at what he sees as lack of a voters’ register being provided to his representatives, as well as to all other aspirants, including presidential contenders.
He alleges that the lack of an adequate photo album of qualified voters has caused significant animosity and hostility within the party.
This comes hours after an Accra High Court struck out Dr Kwabena Duffour’s injunction application against the National Democratic Congress (NDC)’s presidential and parliamentary primaries.
It followed an application by his lawyers to have the case withdrawn.
Dr Duffuor’s campaign team had alleged it has not been furnished with an accurate list of persons who are supposed to participate in the May 13, Presidential and Parliamentary polls.
The request was made in court earlier in the day when the case was called for hearing.
There was no opposition from NDC’s legal team and that of the Electoral Commission (EC).
Today, Edgar’s lawyers are praying the court for “an order of interlocutory injunction to restrain the Defendants/Respondents, its officers or agents or otherwise howsoever from holding the primary elections for the Nomination of Presidential and Parliamentary Candidates of the National Democratic Congress Party on 13 May 2023 pending the determination of the suit herein as per grounds deposed to in the accompanying affidavit and for any further orders the Honourable Court may deem fit”.
There is a good reason why you should support the African Editors. Not everyone can afford to pay for news right now. That is why we keep our journalism open for everyone to read, including in Ghana. If this is you, please continue to read for free. But if you are able to, then there are three good reasons to support us today.
1. Our quality, journalism is a scrutinising force at a time when the rich and powerful are getting away with more and more.
2. We are independent and have no billionaire owner pulling the strings, so your money directly powers our reporting.
3. It doesn’t cost much, and takes less time than it took to read this message.
Help power the African Editors' journalism for the years to come, whether with a small sum or a larger one. If you can, please support us on a monthly basis from just $2 through mobile money number: 0599896099/ +233059989609 and you can be rest assured that you’re making a big impact every single month in support of open, independent journalism. Thank you.